Fall is now upon us. As nice as the sunny days and nature’s colourful displays are, we must also accept the inevitable cooler temperatures and nights that are so cold they make you want to declare hibernation and not come out until spring.
After such a busy summer season, taking some downtime this fall is well deserved. Are you familiar with cocooning? Some call it “stay-at-home syndrome.” My definition includes cold, rainy weather, pyjamas or old sweats and a warm blanket.
The list of indoor activities can sometimes seem redundant, and you may want to do something more than watch a movie or read a book. Whether you’re home alone or with a group, if you are looking for original ideas for indoor activities, consider these suggestions for a fun day of cocooning:
- The harvest this time of year provides an abundance of apples, squash and pumpkins. Now is the time to make soup, cookies, muffins, crumbles, pies and other delicious goodies. Follow your imagination and create new recipes using winter squash and then share the fruits of your labour with family and friends.
- Do you have an upcoming project in mind? Use this time to start planning. Read some magazines and browse websites for renovation or decorating ideas. If you are missing the sunshine, why not plan a vacation? Planning a sand and sun adventure will surely warm you up!
- Spa days are always fun, so why not have a spa day at home? Invite some friends over and ask them to bring their manicure set and their favourite nail polish. Have your kids join in too and paint really cute designs on their nails. Indulge in foot baths and skin masks, and don’t forget the cucumber slices for your eyes! For a really simple home-made skin mask, mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
- 250 g–350 g cream cheese (found in any good grocery store, near the sour cream)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from half a lemon
- We all have one item in our closets that we never wear anymore but that we can’t bear to get rid of because it is still in great condition. Why not let a friend enjoy it? Invite a few friends over and ask them each to bring one item that they no longer wear and swap. Clothing swaps are very popular in Europe and can make for some good laughs.
These are a few suggestions to make a rainy day more fun. If you have other ideas for cocooning activities, share them with us!