You may have noticed the growing popularity of décor created with used furniture or other objects. Garage sales are often the source of great finds!
Here are a few tips that will help you make the most of them:
- Bring cash with you! These places are very rarely equipped with a computerized system for receiving payments!
- Arrive early! The organizers don’t maintain inventory – the items on sale are often one-of-a-kind. So… the earlier you get there, the more great finds you’ll see!
- Consider arriving with whatever transport you’ll need! If you come across your dream find and it happens to be furniture, you’ll be disappointed if you have to pass it up.
- Keep an open mind. You may come across something that’s not exactly what you dreamed of. But try to see past its colour and texture. While the colour may be less than ideal and the finish may have been damaged over time, the piece itself could be a great find! It may need nothing more than a new coat of paint or a few stitches.
- It’s all very well to keep an open mind… but you should also take a closer look! Inspect the back or underside of every item to make sure that it can be “rescued”, whatever its condition!