A post written by Annie Lavigne, Director Human Resources and Talent Development at South Shore Furniture, and a mom with 2 kids.
Mom = hardworking + informed consumer. Yikes! Four little words that put my mind in “alert” mode. But that’s nothing new: a whole lot of skills are needed to stay on top of all this! I’ve been working with the human resources team at South Shore Furniture over the past few years, setting up skill profiles for all the jobs in the company… and let me tell you: the list of skills for the “mom-hardworking-informed consumer” profile would be U-N-E-N-D-I-N-G!
- Client-focussed (be ready to listen to our kids or co-workers)
- Performance management (make the right choices when shopping, and for our families)
- Organization and planning skills (no need to explain this one!)
- Good judgment, decision-making (on a day-to-day basis)
- Teamwork (able to look for resources on hand)
- Creativity (to achieve a goal by deadline and on budget)
- Enthusiasm (whatever happens!)
- Leadership (those who like me will follow me!)
- Ability to balance (otherwise everything else could fall apart).
Double yikes! We often pressure ourselves (too much!) to excel at all these skills… Are my girls eating enough veggies? The older one didn’t see a mistake in her homework – she won’t get an A!